Friday, October 16, 2009

Feed the Sharks!
... so we've quickly learned that the National Junior Honor Society (NJHS) is not all about candlelit pats on the back in suit coats! As part of his membership obligation this year, Connor has to perform at least 24 hours of service to his school and community. His first project was spearheading a grocery store receipt collection program to earn rebate money for his school PTSO. He and I organized 20 other students who worked for more than 70 hours over a three-week period collecting 1,000+ grocery receipts and entering their promotional 20-digit codes into a special website. We offered a pizza party to the homeroom that collected the most coded receipts and Connor et al stood in the local Safeway store lobby night after night with the cool shark mascot collection box. In total, Connor and his NJHS recruits raised more than $2,700 for SRMS! Great project, Connor (and Mom)!

7 comments:

  1. ahhhhhh...20 digit codes!!!!!! That is the stuff nightmares are made of! But $2700?!?!?! That's like a dream come true! Great job kids! And I hope you have thanked your amazing mom twenty times over!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey coonor! Where did your cool edgy "part" go? While I'm sad to see it fade away I have to admit, you are one good looking kid! I can only imagine how unresistably handsome you were in the shark mascot box. (Please tell me you got where it. Nevermind. Don't ruin my image by telling me you didn't!)
    Good job kid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys know I meant "Connor" right? Or maybe I'm just giving you a new nick name. Cooner... It could catch on....

    ReplyDelete
  4. He did NOT wear the BOX in PUBLIC. We have a MUCH more awesome shark COSTUME that he has worn to SCHOOL several times on spirit day! So picture that instead.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great thing!! I don't remember ya'll's honor society doing something soooooooo cool, Amber. Cudos to all of you, Connor, (and, needless to say, Mom!) for a job well done! You guys bring smiles to my heart! xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy Smokes Joyce Boys!!!!! That is majorly impressive...and you too Amber. You are all super impressive!

    ReplyDelete