Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Famous Americans


Amelia Earhart, Barack Obama, Annie Oakley, Walt Disney, and Mia Hamm all visited Reilly's 1st grade class today. Did you know that Sacajawea carried a baby boy on her back all the way across the country? Or remember who said, "Give me Liberty or Give me death?" The students had fun reminding us (Patrick Henry) by dressing in costumes and giving mini reports about their favorite famous Americans today. If you know Reilly, you know he chose a baseball player. So who was the famous #42 for the Brooklyn Dodgers who won Rookie of the Year in 1947 and National League MVP in 1949? He also played in six All Star games and six World Series. His success changed the way Americans thought about black people. You got it; it was Jackie Robinson, the first African American MLB player, inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1962. Great job, Reilly. This has been quite a week for you!

4 comments:

  1. Look amber! I went further! By the time I get to blogging my crazy week you'll have to be sure to do the same!
    And Reilly... you're right. There just aren't many people cooler than baseballs players!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NIce job, buddy! I didn't know he had red hair;)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennie,
    You are so funny! I thought abut painting his face brown??? but I decided... not to. Who knows what Barrack's parents would have thought?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job on choosing a baseball player. Those old presidents are over rated!

    ReplyDelete